Environmental Contributions Activities
I. Basic Policy
The Sumitomo Corporation Group recognizes that environmental issues are global in scale and that they are long-range concerns affecting future generations. As a global organization, the Sumitomo Corporation Group, through sound business activities, will strive to achieve sustainable development aimed at both social and economic progress and environmental preservation.
In pursuing its diversified business activities both within Japan and overseas, the Sumitomo Corporation Group shall comply with the following guidelines, and, through cooperation between its Group companies, work to achieve the aims of its basic environmental policy.
- １．Basic stance with regard to the environment:
- To attach great importance to protecting the global environment as a good corporate citizen in keeping with the Sumitomo Corporation Group's Activity Guidelines.
- ２．Compliance with environmental legislation:
- To strictly observe legislation related to environmental matters not only in Japan but also overseas, and to abide by any agreements made.
- ３．Caring for the natural environment:
- To protect the natural environment and preserve biodiversity.
- ４．Response to climate change:
- To place great importance on mitigating climate change and adapting to its impact.
- ５．Efficient use of resources and energy:
- To be mindful of the finite availability of resources and energy and strive to use them both efficiently and effectively.
- ６． Contributing to the building of a recycling-oriented society:
- To endeavor to help build a recycling-oriented society by reducing waste and reusing and recycling resources.
- ７．Promotion of businesses that contribute to environmental preservation:
- To utilize our integrated corporate strength to promote businesses and projects, which contribute to environmental preservation and reduction of the impact of society on the natural environment.
- ８．Establishment of environmental management:
- To use an environmental management system to prevent environmental pollution and set environmental objectives and targets which are regularly reviewed and continuously upgraded.
- ９．Disclosure of the Environmental Policy:
- To communicate this Environmental Policy to all people who are working for or on behalf of the Sumitomo Corporation Group, as well as disclosing it externally.